Tuesday, August 2, 2011

COFFEE JELLO - Try This Tuesday

Lemme say that again.

Coffee.
Jello.


Yes.

Bill Cosby approved!!!  I like to think, anyway.

I've actually posted about this before.  It was my first ever "Try This Tuesday", before I started calling it that, and I totally scrimped out on it and didn't post it nicely with instructions or pictures or anything.

I had only made it the once, months ago, and on a whim decided to make a batch yesterday. Back when I first posted this recipe, I had only a handful of readers, and this didn't get the attention it deserves because it wasn't the main focus of the entry.  So I'm giving it a second chance for you guys!


Because coffee.  COFFEE.  Duh.



Here's what you'll need to make this yourself:



1/2 cup cold water (I didn't take a picture of that)
About two cups of STRONG, hot coffee.
A glass baking pan.  Size doesn't really matter, but remember that it will affect the thickness of the jello cubes.
3 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin.  Packets, not boxes.  There are 4 packets in each box.
14oz sweetened condensed milk (not the same as evaporated milk)

(And, if you want to make these even more adult than they already are, you can add 3 tablespoons of Kahlua or other liquor that you would normally add to coffee. I didn't do that this time around, but did the first time I made these.)


So, what you need to do is brew the coffee, and while you're doing that, pour the water in a bowl and add the three packets of gelatin over it.  What it's going to do is "bloom" or suck up all of that water.  Give it about 10 minutes to do this.

Then pour in the hot coffee and stir it all up until the gelatin dissolves and you have a liquid.

Stir in the sweetened condensed milk.  Make sure you really stir it up so it doesn't all settle at the bottom, but try not to stir like a crazy person so that there are bubbles all over the place.  That will make for some weird looking jello.



Pour it into the glass pan, let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, and BAM, coffee jello.
















Then cut it up into cubes and enjoy!














































Credits to both food librarian and the hungry mouse for this recipe!

1 comment:

Feedback is great. Feel free to share!