Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Nutella and Marshmallow "Pillow Pockets" - Try This Tuesday

Oh. My. Goodness.


Ladies and gentlemen, I don't pretend to be a baker.  I get anxious when I have to make cupcakes from a box.  I don't own an electric mixer.  But these beauties?  Simple, easy, and DELICIOUS!  Um hello, they had me at Nutella!  I'm relatively new to this treat, I'm talking within the last couple of years, but I am hooked.


Make these.  That is not a suggestion, it's an order.


Here's what you need:




Nutella
Mini Marshmallows
Puff Pastry Sheets
One egg

Preheat oven to 350°F


Ok so if you've never used those puff pastry thingies before (*raises hand*) it comes as two big sheets.  Just leave the package out, I think it says 40 minutes.  I had to leave mine out a little longer to get them all thawed out.




Then cut each big square into four individual pieces, so you end up with eight smaller squares.  This is where I already got lazy and just ripped them.  Lovely, no?  I don't suggest it.



Then spread the Nutella onto the squares, but make sure you leave a bit of a border, about 1/2 an inch.  Then top it with the marshmallows, I used 15 on each.


Sidebar: For a little while I thought I had some sort of magical powers because I kept reaching a hand in and coming out with a handful of exactly 15.  Out of eight squares, I'd say it happened five times! 


Once you have all of the squares covered in Nutella and marshmallow goodness, fold 'em and crimp the edges with a fork.





Next comes the egg white wash.  That means, take an egg white, whisk it up with a tablespoon of water, and brush it on each pastry.  If you already knew that, congratulations and shush.




Then sprinkle sugar on top!!!



Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until they just are turning golden.  Mine only took about 20 minutes.







They're not as pretty as the pictures on the website I'm about to link you to...but dammit they were good!






Here's the full recipe and link to the original site.  Enjoy!!!


  • 1 package puff pastry, 2 pastry sheets thawed
  • 1 Cup Nutella spread
  • 1 Cup mini marshmallows
  • Egg white wash: 1 egg white whisked with 1 Tablespoon water
  • Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
  2. Cut each square of pastry into 4 equal size pieces, which will equal 8 squares total
  3. Spread a couple tablespoons of Nutella spread onto the center of each pastry leaving 1/2 inch border around edges.  
  4. Top each with about 12-15 mini marshmallows and fold over to form a little triangle.  
  5. Crimp edges firmly with the tines of a fork.  
  6. Brush with egg white wash then sprinkle with granulated sugar.  
  7. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until pastry just turns golden.  
  8. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes, (sprinkle with powdered sugar if doing so) 
  9. Devour. 


(P.S.  I lost two and a half pounds this week, and these were my only indulgence.  Ha!)

8 comments:

  1. What on earth are you trying to do to me? I can not believe how amazing these look, but will have to wait until we have a house full of people to bake them. Otherwise, I'm positive I would eat every single one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the step by step with the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my oven is broken and this is very unkind.
    and my word is WISHIS.
    no kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I "wishis" your oven will be fixed soon so you can make these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Em Gee! My husband is gonna be mad when I send him to the store on his way home :) mmmm.
    PoopInACandle.com

    Today's word verification:
    SUPLING

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a yummy filling for these little pastries. They must be so good when they're still warm and that marshmallow is all gooey in the center. I have a sweet treat linky on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your pockets up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, I appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't feel right as these weren't my own creation. I wish they were, though! I was just sharing the wealth! The link to the creator (I'm assuming) is in the post :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is great. Feel free to share!